Unlock the mysteries behind the world’s most popular fruit: the banana! In this article, you will explore its health benefits, nutritional value, and we’ll show you how to incorporate this sweet and versatile snack into your diet thanks to a list of various recipe ideas we have prepared for you. You’d be surprised at how many different dishes people learned to use it for. For example, have you heard there is such a thing as banana beer and wine? 🙂
Health Benefits Of Bananas
Bananas are packed with essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, B6, and potassium. They also have loads of dietary fiber and antioxidants that help keep your digestion happy and your body protected. And the best part? Bananas are super low in calories and fat, so they make the perfect snack if you’re trying to keep your weight in check. Bonus: eating bananas regularly can even help regulate your blood sugar levels and prevent anemia. So, whether you want to feel more energetic, protect your heart, or maintain a healthy weight, this fruit is a tasty and nutritious choice!
According to HealthLine, the nutrition facts for one medium-sized banana (100 grams) are as follows:
- Calories: 89
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Carbs: 22.8 g
- Sugar: 12.2 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Water content: 75%
Bananas are a rich source of carbs. In unripe bananas, most carbs are in the form of starch, which is converted into sugars during the ripening process, especially sucrose, fructose, and glucose. Their dietary fiber can help you with your digestion, and you will surely benefit from several vitamins and minerals they contain, especially potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C.
From delicious smoothie recipes to creative baking ideas, we have you covered! Nutritionists at Harvard Health recommend the following methods to prepare bananas for eating:
- Slice ripe banana into a fruit salad. It would be great to squeeze a bit of acid such as apple cider vinegar, orange juice, lime, or lemon onto it to prevent it from darkening too quickly.
- Substitute mashed banana for butter for dense baked goods like cookies, muffins, or quick breads. Careful, it may cause the product to bake faster, so check for doneness a few minutes earlier than usual or reduce the oven temperature. Also reduce the amount of added sugar in the recipe by 1/4 to 1 half.
- Dairy-free ice cream alternative: Peel, chop, and freeze two medium bananas. Place into a blender or food processor & add a few tablespoons of liquid (water, plant milk, or coconut water). Blend until smooth. Optionally, add extra liquid for additional creaminess. For a different flavor, add a splash of vanilla extract and cinnamon, 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, or nut/seed butter or ½ cup frozen berries.
We have a few more banana ideas for you:
- Bread – mix mashed bananas, flour, sugar, plant-based milk, oil, baking powder, and a flax egg, then bake the mixture in a loaf pan.
- Smoothie – a classic, mix with any fruits & berries you like!
- Pancakes – best with oatmeal!
- Grilled – top with maple syrup, cinnamon, and nuts!
- Baked – top with melted vegan chocolate!
Banana Wine & Beer – For Real?
Yes, there are truly no limits to human creativity, especially when it comes to food, let even when it comes to alcohol!
Banana beer is made by fermenting a mixture of malted barley, hops, yeast, and mashed bananas. And the taste? Some people describe it as “unfiltered apple juice combined with a healthy dose of vodka”.
Banana wine comes with a unique taste, a light fruit flavor, and in a color similar to that of honey. But it’s vegan! The process involves fermenting mashed bananas, sugar, water, yeast, and sometimes additional spices.
The beer has a content of 5-6% ABV (alcohol by volume) while the wine is higher in alcohol, 10-15% ABV.
We have explored the numerous health benefits of bananas and their impressive nutritional profile. You know how this sweet and versatile fruit can help boost your energy levels, improve digestion, and protect your heart health. Now, feel free to continue reading Veggiepedia and learn more about nutritious vegan ingredients and get inspired by our delicious recipes.