This pizza recipe is simple yet tasty and nutritious thanks to the wholegrain flour used in it. If you are an onion lover, make sure to use as many onions as you’d like (don’t worry about its strong flavour, I’ll give you a tip to sweeten it!). Remember you can top it with any other vegetables and ingredient. Because it’s a thick, heavy pizza, you’ll be more than satisfied with one or two slices.
When preparing the dough, make sure you pay attention to the texture since it could require more or less water than specified (as flours absorb water differently). The water shouldn’t be too hot because it might kill the yeast. Warm is perfect.
- Small bowl
- Big bowl
- Pizza tray
- Frying pan
- 5 gr. of dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ cup of warm water
- 450 gr. of wholegrain flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ¼ cup of warm water
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large onions (you can use a red onion if you want, for variety of colour)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 300 g of vegan cheese (this is almond-mozzarella cheese, but you can choose your favourite)
- Prepare the activated yeast. In the small bowl, mix the dried yeast, the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Leave it in a warm place until it starts getting foamy. You’ll see it will start growing. When it does, it’s ready.
- Prepare the dough. Put the flour in a large bowl and make a hole in the centre. Add the salt on the side (make sure it won’t make contact with the yeast). In the hole, add the yeast and some warm water. Start slowly mixing it together with the flour. When required, add more water. Add the oil. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add a bit of extra flour.
- Let it rest and leaven. Move your dough to the (previously greased with spray or oil) pizza tray. Cover it with plastic and leave it in a warm area for around 1 hour or until it doubles its size.
- Prepare the onions. In a frying pan, add some olive oil and let it heat in minimum. Cut the onions in thin slices and add them to the pan. Add a tablespoon of sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Let it cook slowly until it’s transparent and slowly getting brown. Turn off the flame and leave it.
- Make the base. When the dough has doubled its size, stretch it to cover the tray and take it to the medium oven for around 10 minutes. Remove it and add the tomato sauce. Return to oven for another 5 minutes.
- Top the pizza. Remove from oven, add the onions and the cheese on top. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Servings: 8 (8 slices). One serving (1 slice) = 133 g.
|Item||8 servings||1 serving||100 g|
|Saturated fats [g]||26.0||3.3||2.5|